Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What's Cooking Wednesday #10

It is that time of the week again where I dust off my cookbooks and try a recipe I have bookmarked but never gotten around to making.

If you live in New Zealand you are probably familiar with Jo Seagar, a bubbly personality with some fantastic cookbooks as well as a cooking school at Oxford. I have yet to try a recipe of hers that didn't result in a fantastic end product, so when I had a lot of rhubarb in the garden I turned to her books for some inspiration.

In her recipe book "You shouldn't have gone to so much trouble darling" you will find heaps of "easy peasy" recipes that look and taste great with minimal effort. Today I made her Rhubarb Spicetrail Shortcake.

Rhubarb Spicetrail Shortcake (adapted from Jo Seagar)

Base
125g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups self raising flour

Topping
1/4 cup flour
1 1 /2 cups castor sugar
4 sticks rhubarb, finely chopped
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

In a food processor, cream the butter and sugar then add the other base ingredients. Pulse to combine. Press into a 20x30cm slice pan.

Mix topping flour, sugar and eggs with the mixed spice in the food processor. Add the rhubarb and pulse until just combined. Pour on top of the base and bake for 55-60 minutes until firm and set.



The verdict:
This was yummy. Straight out of the oven it was gooey, inviting and tasty. My four year old even had two helpings although he had informed me he didn't like rhubarb when I was making the shortcake. My husband was also very impressed. This would have been wonderful with come icecream or custard, but because it was Good Friday when I made this and pouring with rain, we couldn't get to the shops and so we had it plain.

It was even better the next day. I may have had a slice for my second breakfast! This is going to be a great way to use up all the rhubarb in the garden and it has already been requested again.

3 comments :

  1. oh that looks so easy. I have been stewing heaps of rhubarb and found out that it works with pav and whipped cream better than the traditional strawberries. So I will need to make this!! Now I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I just made it. Super fast. It is in the oven. I will blog post it and link back to you in the weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you get on- it is so delicious warm with icecream :)

      Delete

I love getting comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...